We are proud to have sponsored Veterinary Practice News‘ annual “They Ate What?” Pet X Ray Contest again this year. The contest garnered an overwhelming response and Veterinary Practice News team members were tasked with judging the contest. Two grand prize winners were selected, both from California: J.R. Hight, DVM and S.L. Svarvari, DVM of the Sunny Brae Animal Clinic in Arcata, CA and Ivan Mayor, DVM, of the Humane Veterinary Hospital of San Diego in Spring Valley, CA.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the contest and sent in radiographs. Also, a special thank you to Fuji for providing prizes for the winners!
While we like to have some fun with this contest, it goes to show how important radiography is when it comes to veterinary diagnostics. It is our mission at Sound® to continue delivering innovative customer-driven diagnostic imaging and information management solutions that simplify and enhance workflow, promote better patient care and help the veterinary practice thrive. We hate to see your pets in pain and discomfort and will continue providing solutions to help get them back to feeling normal as quickly as possible!
Check out all of the winners below.
Grand Prize Winners
10-½ Inch Serrated Bread
"This young Jack Russell pup, Maya, was brought to us in an emergency situation. After the initial exam and palpation, radiographs were taken and surgery was immediately performed. The knife was removed without incident and Maya was surrendered to our facility and placed in a safer environment."
J.R. Hight, DVM and S.L. Svarvari, DVM
Sunny Brae Animal Clinic
Long, Long Wire Thing
"The owner had just moved into that house and didn’t know where it came from. Penelope, a 6-month-old female pit bull, was by herself all day. The owner found her with a rigid neck and drooling when he got home."
Ivan Mayor, DVM
Humane Veterinary Hospital of San Diego
Spring Valley, CA
Long Back Scratcher
"Yoda, a 16 week old pit bull puppy, presented to our office in September 2012 was vomiting pieces of wood, having difficulty breathing, and in shock. Radiology showed a long object – and the owners stated that the only thing they couldn’t find at home was a wooden back scratcher. Sure enough, Yoda had swallowed the back scratcher WHOLE – he swallowed it ball-end first, so it slid all the way in. He recovered beautifully from surgery, and was released a few days later.”
Robert R. Blease, DVM
Animal Health Center
Golf Balls and Pups
"A 3 year old yellow lab came to me because the owner thought the dog was pregnant and wanted to see how many puppies she had. As it turned out, she had more golf balls in her stomach than pups in her uterus!"
Shayla Prestegord, DVM
Willmar Pet Hospital
Bald Eagle with Chicken Neck
"On March 28, 2013 Michael Bowen an agent that works for PAWS (Peoples Alliance of Wildlife Services), a local wildlife organization, and a local avian rehab professional, Anita, had given us a phone call about a bald eagle that was in severe distress. The attending veterinarian, Dr. Lisa Bright, examines and treats all wildlife that PAWS brings in at no charge. The eagle was fairly lethargic and not resisting being held. Dr. Bright passed a urinary catheter into the craw of the eagle to try and flush out whatever was obstructing his throat. After about 30-45 minutes of flushing water in and out of his craw, a chicken neck was manipulated to the top of this throat and extracted with a pair of alligator hemostats. The eagle was released 3 days later, on Easter Sunday, back into the wild at a separate location from where he was found."
Happy Tails Pet Clinic
"TThis is an x-ray of Baxter, a 2 year old Lab/Golden Mix, who ate a drapery hook. Following ingestion, we performed an exploratory to find the hook had perforated his small intestine. Surgery was curative, and Baxter recovered nicely. This was his second exploratory for ingestion of foreign bodies. The first time, he ate carpet as a puppy."
Tammy Pappelis, DVM
Riverbend Pet Hospital
"Romeo, a sable/white Chihuahua Mix, is called “The Hoover” at home; anything that hits the floor is his property. Romeo’s pet parent noticed a needle was missing from her sewing kit, looked at Romeo and knew the little stinker had just swallowed it.
Romeo was presented for an urgent radiograph. A right lateral abdominal radiograph was performed. There was a long and narrow opacity within the stomach that was highly indicative of a large needle. Endoscopic surgical removal of the needle was uneventful and Romeo fully recovered. He now has set his sights on the occasional dollar bill.”
Dr. Liz Pollak, DVM
Osburn Veterinary Clinic
Pennies; Green-Headed Parrot
"The first radiograph is of a dog that came in not feeling well. After some odd readings on a CBC, we took these pictures. Imagine the surprised owner’s face after surgery when we removed 2 pennies from the pelvic region. (If you look closely, you can almost see Lincoln’s face)
The second radiograph is from residents of our clinic. We had a red tail boa get out of its cage. We also had a green-headed parrot in another part of the clinic. The next day, one of the technicians asked who had Simon (the bird) out of his cage. We put our heads together, radiographed the snake and found Simon."
Brenda England, RVT
Veterinary Medical Center
Ball Stuck in Throat
"Leila, a female German Shepherd, presented on September 6, 2012 for acute respiratory distress while playing ball. The owner saw that it was lodged in her throat, as he tried to retrieve it himself, he inadvertently pushed it further down the pharynx. We took the radiograph to determine how far down it was. The ball was designed with holes through it and as fortune would have it, the holes lined up with the trachea allowing her to breathe, albeit with difficulty. Minor sedation was administered, intravenously, and I removed it by inserting my finger through the hole. Recovery was uneventful and Leila walked out on her own, very much relieved!
Stephen P. Sawyer, BVSc, MRCVS
Jamul Veterinary Hospital
"This puffer fish, which resided in a dental office, stopped eating. He was brought in for an exam, and Dr. Kizer palpated a foreign object. This is what we found on the radiograph. The puffer fish underwent and exploratory surgery to remove the obstructing clam."
Jenna Klein, CVT
Lexington Pet Clinic
Ball Lodged in Pharynx
"This is a radiograph of Alice, a German Shepherd, who was taking a break from her 10 day old puppies and playing ball with her owners. They threw the ball, which lodged in her oropharynx, and she immediately fell down and was unable to breath. She made it 30 minutes to the ER clinic and we took this radiograph. We also have fantastic pictures of the ball (which had a bell in it, and a hole at either end which she was breathing through), after it was retrieved. The dog did great, the owners were very thankful, and I got a new ball."
Maggie Klein, DVM
Animal Emergency Center
40 Hair Bands
"I'm submitting radiographs and photos from Tallula, a 5 year old female DSH cat. Tallula had not eaten for a few days and was vomiting. We took radiographs and saw foreign material in her stomach and small intestines. Exploratory surgery was recommended and we had to perform a Gastrostomy and Enterotomy to remove about 40 hair bands from her stomach and intestinal tract. The owner was suspicious that Tallula may have eaten silly bands, but that's not what we found. After surgery, the owner did say she always played with her hair bands and she thought the cat was just losing them, not eating them. The cat may have been ingesting hair bands for up to 1 year according to owner.”
Emily Perez, veterinary tecnician
Bethel Mill Animal Hospital
"A 10-year-old Wheaton Terrier presented for intermittent vomiting. A radiograph was taken which showed a headset in the stomach extending to the proximal intestines. The headset was endoscopically removed, so that the patient didn’t need exploratory surgery."
Jared Coren, DVM
West Hills Animal Hospital & Emergency Center
"Prince, a 3 year old Cocker Spaniel, ate a box of staples out of the home office. They were removed via gastrostomy. The radiograph shows a staple that was able to pass into the small intestines.”
Tobe Singleton, DVM
Southside Animal Hospital
70 Hair Ties
"Chloe, a dog, came into our clinic, presenting vomiting and lethargy. We took X-rays and were unable to identify what was in the stomach. Meds were prescribed in hopes that it would pass on its own. Unfortunately, she ended up at the emergency center, where an exploratory was performed and 70 rubber band hair ties were removed from her stomach, duodenum and jejunum! Turns out the client's daughter had noticed missing hair ties and wondered where they had gone. Chloe is doing great and made a full recovery.”
Fred Mulch, DVM
Whitehaven Veterinary Center
Images courtesy of Veterinary Practice News